Saturday, November 6, 2010

In her blog, Adult Books 4 teens, Angela Cartensen discusses the ideas of ‘crossover’. Crossover is where young adult books may become popular with adults or vice versa. It essentially refers to the blurred lines between young adult and adult fiction. I posted the following as a response to her article:

I think the idea of crossover is extremely important. Crossover titles allows for young adults to more easily move between young adult and adult fiction, which in the past has had quite a distinct gap. Crossover offers the opportunity for young adults to slowly be introduced to the world of adult fiction. This also seems to work the other way as I believe many adults discount young adult titles purely because they are marketed towards teenagers (and personally I think these people have no idea what they’re missing out on!).

Some other great crossover titles are the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins and the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness. Both are targeted towards young adults, however they contain enough subtly with their underlying themes that they are also easily accessible and interesting to adult readers. Additionally, both these trilogies address some complex adult themes around identity and the responsibility of wielding great power.

No comments:

Post a Comment