As a public library librarian nothing thrills me more than discussing fiction with my clients. I love seeing my clients’ eyes light up when they’re talking about a story they’ve read and fallen in love with. This is true for me across all age groups, but I feel it most keenly with teenagers. Teenagers often prefer to avoid adult conversation in preference for their own peers, so engaging with them through the shared medium of young adult fiction is a triumph of sorts. The shocked looks on their faces when they discover a grown-up is reading their books is truly a delight to see!
I must admit though, that these conversations are not the sole reason why I enjoy young adult fiction. The works stand out for themselves. Young adult fiction is in a unique position as it is responsible for addressing mature themes in a way that is subtle and understandable to teenage readers. Teenage fiction allows young readers to experience situations and ideas that may be controversial for them in explore in real life, such as drug use or homosexuality. As a teenager, my friends and I were “good kids” so we did not take drugs, have sex or deal with teen pregnancy, and so through books we were able to explore these ideas, make decisions and ultimately craft our own identities.
As an adult, I still enjoy young adult fiction for the very same reason. I am interested in the way mature topics, particularly homosexuality, are addressed within teenage fiction and how they may be able to shape and change the lives of the teenagers who read it. I also believe they create a shared dialogue that can encourage teenagers and adults to talk about sensitive matters. Plus there are some great stories in there too!
Most importantly though, I love being able to talk to my teenage clients about what they are reading, why they are reading it and whether they enjoy it. It allows me to talk with them on their level, as a peer rather than an authority figure, which in turn earns me their respect and trust. And on an entirely selfish note, I get a never ending supply of suggestions for great books to read!
No comments:
Post a Comment