Monday, November 8, 2010

Twitter and YA Information

This week I explored Twitter to discover any prominent users or # tags relating to young adult fiction. The most obvious # tag would be #YA as YA is the standard abbreviate, however I discovered that this tag is not unique enough. #YA also appears to be used frequently by non-English speaking users, or as an alternative spelling to “yeah” or “your” in “# tag spamming”. The current trend appears to be using #YA in conjunction with #books, #fiction or #reviews and # tag conjunctions of these, such as #YAfiction, are only used infrequently.

To involve myself in Twitter, I posted the following tweets:
• Great article on "mean girl books" and why they're relevant to teenagers today: http://bit.ly/aMTM7d #ya #fiction
• Just read an article on how racy reading like Gossip Girl can inspire reluctant readers http://bit.ly/9TEeD7 #ya #fiction
• TeachYALit #Review of THE HUNGER GAMES: http://tinyurl.com/27t6prl If you have #lessonplans, please share. #YA #YALit #Books #Reading #HungerGames (Retweet)
• EZReadBooks Read a review of Lauren Kate's "Fallen": http://tinyurl.com/25vjfo5 Share your own opinion of this #YA #book. #angel #review #read #fiction (Retweet)
Unfortunately, there was little response as I do not yet have a great deal of followers on Twitter. There was some discussion surrounding the original tweets that I retweeted but they mainly focused on directing people to the links provided.

I think Twitter could be a great resource in updating followers in a timely fashion, however there does not seem to be a strong community surrounding young adult fiction. The lack of a single relevant # tag makes it a bit more difficult to locate what you’re interested in. Multiple searches must be undertaken using various # tag combinations as stated above. Essentially, for my topic, Twitter is not a great source in locating new information, however it would be extremely useful in updating followers in a timely and concise way.

No comments:

Post a Comment